This quarter’s Environmental Defense Fund Solutions magazine publishes a list of great advocacy resources… Five Ways to Make a Difference. As the article lead-paragraph says, “In these unprecedented times, we’ve seen something equally unprecedented – a surge of activism.”
- Countable (countable.us) “Not sure what your elected officials are doing? Countable makes it quick and easy to understand the laws Congress is considering. It also streamlines the process of contacting your lawmakers and allows you to track how they’re voting on important issues…”
- Moms Clean Air Force (momscleanairforce.org/action) “Take action by joining Moms Clean Air Force, the EDF-backed group of nearly one million parents and others acting on behalf of children to protect the environment.”
- Call the Halls (gumroad.com/l/callthehallsguide) “What’s the best way to communicate with people in government who are supposed to represent you? This guide, written by a former congressional staffer, explains why calls and letters are better than tweets or emails and walks you through strategies for making your communication count.”
- Defend Our Future (defendourfuture.org) “Join EDF’s Defend Our Future movement and make climate change a rallying point for young voters. You can also learn about small but substantive actions you can take that make a real difference.”
- Indivisible: Local Power (indivisibleguide.com/groups-nav) “A lot of the progress over the next four years will be made in cities and states. Indivisible is coordinating a network of local groups to fight back when Washington goes too far. Find groups in your area already at work, or learn how to start your own.”
The article closes with two nice bonus features: A link to EDF’s own Path Forward site, which offers advice where to focus your efforts, by listing what they feel are high priority tasks… a quick go-to for busy people.
Global Warming for Busy People supports and follows the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)… and are avid readers of its quarterly EDF Solutions magazine. If you would like to support their work as well, EDF’s donate page is here.
* * *
Not sure where to start saving the planet (civilization, really)? Our Thesis is: “Start by deeply knowing your three personal Superpowers: ”
3) To save the planet, USE YOUR VOICE and take advocacy seriously! Never miss a vote and never, ever stop influencing your government and all businesses locally, at the state level, and at the national level.
It falls upon you to lead the way with substantive global warming solutions.
And in all cases and at all times, cast aside the learned-helplessness that infects so much of modern life… the time is now for climate change solutions. No one else is going to do your part for you… never give up.
* * *